0306 hrs. EST. I am 12hr 14m into the first of two flights. I will land in New York City in approximately two hours. From there, I will fly to Los Angeles and land there around 1200 hrs. PST. I am in seat 51D. Not too many people on the flight. Interesting conversations at take off. Different groups coming back to America, having seen things in Africa. A woman talking about seeing a mother elephant getting stressed because their safari vehicle was too close to the elephant’s baby.
The South African shows, all three of them, were really great. The last one was in Durban, a city I had never been to before. The promoter was worried that people wouldn’t show up as apparently, the Durban audience is known for clamoring for shows to go to, they often don’t show up when the performers actually arrive. Perhaps we were lucky, I don’t know what, but the place was packed out and they were a great and totally into it audience.
Perhaps some of you have seen my photo book Occupants. The book is dedicated to a man in South Africa named Afrika Monie. I was able to visit him in his township a few days ago and give him, as well as a man named Kenny, who is in the book a copy.
The New Zealand / Australia / South Africa leg was twenty-eight shows. I have a few days in Los Angeles to do some press, reconfigure my backpack and head out for Canada, where tour resumes June 1st in Victoria, BC. That will be about twenty shows and from there, back to Europe for festival dates in August.
It’s been interesting watching America from the great distance of where I have been of late. The sadder and perhaps less logical aspects of America come more to the forefront with the sheer distance between myself and the country. As an example I point to the case of Marissa Alexander, who was just handed a twenty year sentence for shooting a warning shot in front of her husband, who had abused her before. She didn’t shoot him but she’s going to do two decades of her life in prison. I can’t bear to think about this. Meanwhile, George Zimmerman is free on bail. Hey, it’s Florida and that’s how they do it there.
Many hours later. Back in the office. Tired but wired. I will get out of here and see if I can do a few useful things before exhaustion takes me out. When I finish the leg of a tour, I always try to get a good bit of the packing done for the next one the night I get home, it’s a way to stay in the game. I’m on it.
Thanks for reading this. Henry
2017September July June May March
2015July June May April
- 04-28-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: Rollins Band Part 2
- 04-13-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: Haagen-Dazs
- 04-03-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: The Chase
2012December November October September August July June
- 06-27-12 DISPATCH 06-27-12 LOS ANGELES
- 06-13-12 DISPATCH 06-13-12 OTTAWA CANADA
- 06-04-12 DISPATCH 06-03-12 WHITEHORSE YUKON TERRITORY CANADA
- 05-27-12 DISPATCH 05-27-12 LOS ANGELES
- 05-23-12 DISPATCH 05-22-12 EN ROUTE TO LOS ANGELES
- 05-13-12 DISPATCH 05-03-12 JOHANNESBURG SOUTH AFRICA
- 05-08-12 DISPATCH 05-08-12 WOLLONGONG AUSTRALIA
- 04-29-12 DISPATCH 04-29-12 SYDNEY TO DARWIN AUSTRALIA
- 04-23-12 DISPATCH 04-23-12 ADELAIDE / MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
- 04-08-12 DISPATCH 04-08-12 LOS ANGELES
- 01-29-12 DISPATCH 01-29-12 Saarbrucken Germany
- 01-21-12 DISPATCH 01-21-12 BEXHILL UK
- 01-02-12 DISPATCH 01-01-12 LOS ANGELES
2011December November October
- 10-24-11 DISPATCH 10-23-11 OAKLAND CA
- 10-17-11 DISPATCH 10-16-11 BOSTON MA
- 10-10-11 DISPATCH 10-09-11 PHILADELPHIA PA
- 09-21-11 DISPATCH 09-21-11 VIRGINIA
- 09-11-11 DISPATCH 09-11-11 LOS ANGELES
- 09-07-11 DISPATCH 09-06-11 PORT AU PRINCE HAITI
- 09-01-11 DISPATCH 09-01-11 LOS ANGELES
- 08-22-11 DISPATCH 08-22-11 BELFAST NORTHERN IRELAND
- 08-15-11 DISPATCH 08-15-11 LOS ANGELES CA
- 08-07-11 DISPATCH 08-07-11 LOS ANGELES
- 07-24-11 DISPATCH 07-24-11 LOS ANGELES
- 07-17-11 DISPATCH 07-17-11 LOS ANGELES
- 07-11-11 DISPATCH 07-11-11 ASHEVILLE NC
- 07-03-11 DISPATCH 07-03-11 LOS ANGELES
- 03-14-11 DISPATCH 03-13-11 LOS ANGELES
- 03-06-11 DISPATCH 03-06-11 MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA
- 03-01-11 DISPATCH 02-28-11 LA CA
- 02-20-11 DISPATCH 02-20-11 LOS ANGELES
- 02-10-11 DISPATCH 02-11-11 NEW YORK CITY
- 02-02-11 DISPATCHES JANUARY 2011