LA WEEKLY #23. 01-121-11 LA CA
It’s been an interesting week since we last got together, hasn’t it? I don’t know about you but I am an immovable object when it comes to optimism. Allow me to explain. No matter what bad news comes our way, I still think things are getting better. It can be, at times, a hard position to defend. If I had to pick the opposing point of view in a debate setting, I would be able to score many points. I know there are many things to be frustrated, infuriated and rightfully worried about. I bet I feel that way about a lot of the same things that you do. Nonetheless, I think that things are getting better.
This unshakable idea only grows more bolted to the ground when America observes Martin Luther King Day. In most places, it’s a national day of honor and memory of the great Civil Rights leader. Dr. King has his detractors now as he did then, of course but the dream is alive and we are moving forward. No racist or other small-minded hate monger can stop us.
I remember when Martin Luther King was assassinated. I was up early, watching television and watched the announcement. I didn’t understand what the word assassinated meant. I went to my mother’s room and woke her up by telling her what I had heard on television because I thought it was important and I was impressed with myself that I could pronounce the word. She obviously understood what I had told her because she got up and freaked out. She really lost it. I was scared because I had never seen my mother act like that. That really stuck with me.
With the recent assassination attempt of Rep. Giffords that left so many dead and injured, America, whether it wants to, is taking stock and discussions are being had all over the country ranging from civility on the airwaves to gun control. I think the more we get the conversations going, the better. This is better than silence. We owe it to Ms. Giffords, the others killed or injured as well as all of their families to do better, to be better. Not everyone will use what happened in Tucson to improve themselves but a lot of people will. This is how we pay our respects and move ahead.
Keep me away from that soapbox, will ya?!
A few days ago, I went to screening of the Lemmy documentary, called Lemmy. At this point, the man needs little or no introduction. You know or at least know of, the band Motorhead. He’s that guy. Lemmy is Rock & Roll down to his marrow and has been ruining his hearing and that of millions of others all over the world for decades.
Lemmy used to see the Beatles play the Cavern Club. Lemmy used to roadie for Hendrix. Lemmy was in Hawkwind. None of you can claim these three feats. As you can imagine, many rock luminaries are featured in the documentary singing the praises of this Lord of Loud. It was a good night out, great to see so many rockstars in the audience, obviously fans. Even Lemmy showed up. It was cool to see so many people into the whole thing. Lemmy is a rare one, he has set the bar very high yet made countless aspiring rockers feel they can do it. He’s a good man and very inspiring.
The next morning, I was jamming down the highway to Anaheim to the NAMM show on behalf of Shure Microphones, who have kindly sponsored me for twenty years now. I met a lot of people, signed a lot of things and fielded a few very direct propositions. Have mercy!
On December 25th of last year, I was unable to do my radio show because KCRW was closed. I took it upon myself to do my own show and put it up for download. I got letters about it from all over the world and a lot of people asked me to do another one. Well, ok, if you insist. So, I made another one and I think it came out really well. It’s a bunch of great tunes, one after another. Below are a bunch of You-Send-It files. Each one has 500 download capacity. You can click on one and if there’s any download capability, it will download. If it’s been tapped out, it will tell you and you can move to the next one. I have put down six download addresses, that’s three thousand downloads. I made these specially for LA Weekly readers. It downloads as a single MP3 and you can play it on anything. If those run out, there’s more addresses on my site, HenryRollins.com. Listen loud. It makes things better. Until next week.
Here’s the site addresses.
DON’T MISS SATURDAY NIGHTS ON THA K, KCRW FM 89.9
6-8 PM – HENRY ROLLINS (FINC), ENGINEER X, WILL ‘THE DOUBLE B’ BENTLEY
8-10 PM – LIZA ‘LOOK AT ME WHEN YOU TALK TO ME!’ RICHARDSON
10-MIDNIGHT – MARIO ‘HOT LAVA LOVE-MAN’ COTTO
GO TO KCRW.COM FOMOINFO
KCRW BROADCAST #98
Fanatics! We got a thing going on tonight! Check it out. This is an interesting show. It goes all over the place and even features a couple of songs that are pretty difficult to obtain.
The Welders track is from a 4 track EP coming out at some point, if it’s not out already. It’s an all girl band from Missouri I believe. They recorded the EP in 1979 and it’s only coming out now. I don’t know why. They sent it to me and I played it in my kitchen and knew immediately it had to be on our show. The Bloody Amateur is at this point, a one-man band in the form of Andy Comer of Teenbeat band Tel Aviv. I don’t know how many times I have played those albums. Anyway, Andy and I keep in touch and a few months ago, he told me he had started writing and recording again under this new heading. He sent me some new ideas the other day and I asked if I could play tonight’s track and he said yes. So, lucky us. Later on tonight, we will listen to one of my favorite Tel Aviv tracks.
Interesting Nick Cave track from the Le Peuple Migrateur Soundtrack CD. New Medications album on Dischord, perhaps my favorite of their three releases. Great stuff. New James Chance record gets an airing here tonight.
Another smasher from Stonehelm! Load your pipe and believe the hype! Cool track the Stark Reality album. It was just sent to me, I don’t know anything about them yet. I dug it and thought you all might want to check a track from it. Great archival release from Dischord with the Artificial Peace ’81 Sessions LP. It comes with a download card. That one’s at Dischord.com. I am loving this one.
Cool Re-issue Alert Dept.: Dr. Strange Records has re-issued all the Chiefs songs on limited edition LP. It sounds great!
Liza Richardson always plays cool jams on her show. She scooped me like a pail full of sand on this great Music Of Siam CD. I finally got my own after hearing her blasting cool tracks on her show. Now, we catch up. Great album!
I don’t know what else to tell you, Fanatic besides get close up on this show, dig the waves of jamaliciousness, it being Jamuaury and STAY FANATIC!!! —Henry
01. Ween - Where’d The Cheese Go At? / Unreleased
02. The Dickies - Give It Back / The Incredible Shrinking Dickies
03. The Welders - Pervert / The Welders EP
04. Bloody Amateur - Companions 1.5 / Unreleased
05. Nick Cave - To Be By Your Side / Le Peuple Migrateur Soundtrack
06. Medications - We Could Be Others / Completely Removed
07. Swell Maps - Let’s Build A Car (Single Version) / Jane From Occupied Europe
08. David Bowie - Running Gun Blues / The Man Who Sold The World
09. Cloudland Canyon - Clearlight Intry / Requiems Der Natur 2002-2004
10. James Chance & Terminal City - The Street With No Name / The Fix Is In
11. The Specials - Monkey Man / The Specials
12. Hawkwind - Orgone Accumulator / Space Ritual
13. Tel Aviv - We Got The Computers / The Shape Of Fiction
14. Stonehelm - Zombie Apocalypse / Stonehelm
15. Stark Reality - Rocket Ship / Now
16. Public Image Ltd. - Low Life / Public Image Ltd.
17. The Fall - Beatle Bones ‘N’ Smokin’ Stones / Complete Peel Sessions
18. Comets On Fire - Holy Teeth / Avatar
19. Artificial Peace - Suburban Wasteland / Complete Session November 81
20. The Chiefs – Tower 18 / Holly-West Crisis
21. Various Artists - Cleaning This Highway / Prison Worksongs
22. The Ruts - West One (Shine On Me) / The Punk Singles Collection
23. Thin Lizzy - Black Boys On The Corner / Vagabonds, Kings, Warriors, Angels
24. Waipod Phetsuphan - Ding Ding Dong / The Sounds Of Siam 1964-1975
25. The Jesus & Mary Chain - Upside Down / The Power Of Negative Thinking
26. Butch Willis & The Rocks - I’ll Never Be The Same Again / Repeats
2017December October July
2016October July June March
- 03-28-16 Henry Rollins Announces Two New Zealand Shows
- 03-10-16 Henry Rollins at Largo (Los Angeles, CA) at the Coronet this December
- 03-08-16 Henry Rollins returns to Australia this September
- 03-20-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: Henry & RuPaul
- 03-13-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: Henry/Ian/Petshop
- 03-06-15 Henry & Heidi Podcast: Talking Shows
- 07-26-14 Double J Show #04 27–07–14
- 07-18-14 Double J Show #03 20–07–14
- 07-11-14 Double J Show #02 13–07–14
- 07-03-14 Double J Show #01 06–07–14
- 07-02-14 Henry Rollins ‘guest in residence’ Double J Radio in Australia info
2013May April January
- 01-23-13 THE LEGEND OF COOL “DISCO” DAN - World Premiere!
- 01-16-13 West of Memphis: Voices for Justice - Available Now
- 01-15-13 West of Memphis: Exclusive Movie Clip and Album Stream
- 11-29-11 No Fear of a Black Friday
- 11-27-11 Drop In The Bucket Benefit 11/30/11 @ THE AVALON IN LOS ANGELES!!!!!
- 09-10-11 9-11-01 – 9-11-11 TEN YEARS IN A DAY
- 09-05-11 STOOGES USA SHOWS POSTPONED DUE TO INJURY—- READ
- 03-23-11 World Water Day
- 03-22-11 Henry to perform at Reading and Leeds Fests this August
- 03-21-11 Comedy Above the Pub Interview
- 03-17-11 Who’s Afraid of Peter King’s Islamophobia Hearings?
- 03-08-11 Henry interviewed by Culture Brats
- 03-08-11 The Defense of Marriage Act Blues
- 03-08-11 Henry on Chelsea Lately tonight
- 02-28-11 Lithium Magazine Interviews Henry
- 02-24-11 Henry in Australia
- 02-23-11 ***CHECK OUT GRAY JOEL - LINK HERE***
- 02-15-11 Prefix Mag Interview Henry
- 02-12-11 *** RON ASHETON CELEBRATION W/ THE STOOGES ANN ARBOR MI 04-19-11 ***
- 02-11-11 Two new DC area interviews with Henry
- 02-02-11 HENRY NOW IN THE PRINT VERSION OF THE LA WEEKLY
- 02-02-11 20 Questions with Henry Rollins
- 02-02-11 FIVE HEIDI & HENRY BATTLING TOPS VIDEOS IN THE VIDEO SECTION. FREE CELLULITE.
- 02-02-11 *** FRESH LINKS FOR FREE DOWNLOAD SHOW #2 AVAILABLE HERE ***
- 01-31-11 Pop Matters Interviews Henry
- 01-24-11 New Tour Pre-sale
- 01-24-11 LA WEEKLY COLUMN #23
- 01-20-11 01-19-11: 12-25-10 DOWNLOAD RE-UP. COME AND GET YO JAMS!!
- 01-03-11 BIRTHDAY SHOW IN DC 2-13-11: SECOND SHOW ADDED
- 12-15-10 Born to Rage Interviews
- 12-12-10 GRINDERMAN ARTICLE FOR LA WEEKLY
- 12-06-10 National Geographic Channel’s “Born to Rage” Airs December 14th
- 12-01-10 Henry Rollins “50” Dates Announced